.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Return of Aprons

Somewhere along the way women have stopped wearing aprons. At least is seems that way. Our moms used to always wear one and everybody had several so that if one got too dirty another one was ready at hand. I haven't researched this, but I'm guessing that aprons began to lose their panache when the feminist movement picked up momentum during the 1960's. I don't remember seeing hardly any aprons on women by the late 1980's. I  know they were out there, being worn by those few who refused to bend to the fads of the time and who knew a good thing when they had it. But the apron did not hold the same position it once had in the lives of women. 

Today if you asked a young woman the purpose for wearing an apron, she would probably just state the obvious - to keep your clothes clean. And she would be right, but it would not be a complete answer. It wouldn't tell about all the times aprons were used for holding catch-all items, gathering eggs, wiping tears, collecting peas from the garden, drying a dish, or cleaning a surface. Rumor has it that Susanna Wesley, used it for a prayer room. As a mother of 19 children, including John and Charles Wesley, she would flip it over her head in order to pray as children ran around her. 

After several trips to the dry cleaners recently to remove oil spots from some shirts, I decided to don an apron. Interestingly, I felt transformed, empowered, energized! I wasn't just a lonely mom in the kitchen anymore, but I imagined myself as part of a sisterhood. It was if I had a new status among women. And I was ready to work. In fact, at the end of the day, I was shocked at how reluctant I was to take it off!

Pehaps you, too, wear aprons and secretly feel fabulous! It's time to come out of the closet (so to speak) and wear it with pride. No more will feminists make me feel ashamed to be seen with fabric tied around me in beautiful patterns. I dare them to try an apron on!

A few of my apron fashions...  My favorite Funktion apron...


Another by Funktion...

This one I wear the most, by April Cornell. I love the ajustable button at the neck.

Other sites for apron fun:








LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails