.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Summer Garden Pasta Salad

I just made up that name because I made up this salad and I have no idea what else to call it. I just walked through my garden, got some things that were ready for harvest, and pulled them together with some left over chicken, pasta, and a light dressing. And it really turned out nice!




Summer Garden Pasta Salad


2 small raw squash, chopped in quarters - zucchini, crook neck, or a mix
handful of cherry tomatoes
1 small red onion
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
feta cheese
1-2 cups chopped chicken, cooked
1 bag bow tie or other favorite pasta (I usually use whole wheat)


Dressing:
Mix equal parts of extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. 
1/2 - 1 tsp. dried oregano (or fresh if you have it)


Chop and combine ingredients to your liking. Toss with dressing. 


Once again, this is one of my no-fail recipes. You can add or subtract whatever you want. If you have fresh garden peas, throw some in. No red onion? Try some green onions. Not a fan of feta? Use parmesan. Go vegetarian and omit the chicken. A friend of mine makes a similar salad and adds salami. BUT, the key to this dish is the red wine vinegar and oregano. Gotta have it.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails