Monday, April 16, 2012

Barn Hop #58

Welcome to the Monday Homestead Barn Hop where you're invited to link up your blog with your very best post of the week; something happening at your homestead or something of interest that will help benefit fellow homesteaders. Plus, each of the 3 Homestead Barn Hop hostess selects her favorite post of the week to highlight the following week. So be sure to visit all three blogs because the "Featured Homestead" could be YOURS!
Thanks to Chrissy at The New Me blog, I now have a new way to make rain barrels on the cheap frugally!



If you've ever priced rain barrels, the cost is a bit prohibitive, especially if you want to have enough to really make a difference. Knowing where to get some reclaimed food grade barrels and convert them... priceless! Thanks, Chrissy & Nathan!

Join The Barn Hop!
and Amy @ Homestead Revival...

...invite you to link up and share your homesteading adventures!

1. Write a blog post about what's going on at your homestead or a post on something you're learning or an item of interest that will benefit the homesteading community. Be sure to add the red barn button and link back here so others can join in the fun.
2. Come back here and enter your information in the Linky. Please be sure to link to your actual post (click your title and then copy the URL above) and not your home page so those participating later in the week can find your post easily.

3. If you don't have a blog, leave a comment and tell us what's going on at your homestead!

Please Note: As hostesses of the Homestead Barn Hop, please understand that we reserve the right to remove any links that are not family friendly. While this may be subjective, we will err on the side of caution in order to keep our blogs appropriate for all readers. Thank you for your understanding!


Occasionally there is a problem posting due to glitches in the internet or the Linky Tools. If you have difficulties or see that your post is removed and it follows all "family friendly" guidelines above, please wait a little while and try re-posting. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, be we do not have absolute control over the internet. Thank you for your patience and understanding!








14 comments:

  1. It is great how you all have put the rain barrels at each bed! A lot of times you can get the 55 gallon drums free at the local car wash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I shared a recipe for Braised Paleo Pot roast, and Healthy Homemade Vege Chips! Also, an article about the red meat study from Harvard and an article about the exciting new emerging helminthic therapy.

    Join the fun at my giveaway!
    One copy of Real Food 101 from Our Nourishing Roots:

    http://realfoodforager.com/giveaway-one-copy-of-real-food-101/

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy- thanks very much for hosting- What a great collection of posts this week! Today I've linked up a post on the Dandelion and the story behind this fascinating flower, my super tasty skillet cornbread recipe and a post on why our kids need to play outside as much as possible! Have a great week! Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network.com (Seasonal Celebration) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for hosting again! :-) I just always love coming here and seeing that beautiful bowl of strawberries at the top. :-)

    I've linked up three this week:
    1. Why I Don't Soak Grains
    2. Crock Pot Chicken Adobo
    3. Cleaning Ceiling Fans with NO Effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharing a post about a recent sunny work day in which we put down a weed barrier around our raised beds and took care of a few other homestead chores. Oh, and there's a picture of our proud new mama cat and her seven adorable kittens. :) Thanks for hosting! I'm off to check out those water barrels!

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who moves the barrels to the garden? If full, they weigh well over 400 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! NOT ME!! No, seriously, I think they are catching the rain water right there on those stands for a dry spell - meaning, they live back east and a dry spell there might last 2 weeks! Not like you and I where a dry spell lasts 10 months! So I'm thinking I'm going to use the rain barrels for water catchment on my chicken coop roof, house, and eventually my goat barn to at least "curb" my water usage. It is not my only water source option, but I'm thinking diversity might be a good thing! If the rain/snow water off the chicken coop keeps the chickens in water a good portion of the year, then I think I'll call it a success! Now to research how long water will keep like that...

      Delete
  9. Wow, my husband and I were just talking last night about getting rain barrels last night, then I came to your post here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy,
    thanks for the link on making rain barrels on the cheap. That's really cool, and I"m definitely going to look into that. One of my neighbor's that I walk past whenever I go to Whole Foods has four rain barrels, one at each corner of her carport right underneath the rain gutters.

    I know that you live in CA like I do. Do you know of a site where I can find out if I can do this legally? For some reason, I'm thinking that CA can be really persnickety when it comes to stuff like that...but I LOVe the idea of using rainwater to water my garden etc....practical and smart :) :)

    I'm just loving all of the link-ups today :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I managed to figure out how to use the Link Tool, but cannot seem to get the Red Barn Button on my blog. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, you'll find a red barn button with the code on my blog's right side bar under "HR Buttons". Just click on the chicken photo and it will take you to a page with the Barn Hop Button's html code. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Glory! Thanks for the help....it worked!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Homestead Revival™! Please feel free to contribute to the conversation by leaving your comments. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails