.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles!

My favorite childhood cookie, Snickerdoodles, gets a healthy makeover! I have fond memories of making these with an older woman who lived in a little cottage down a dirt road. The first day I wondered down to her house, I didn't know she was someone my family new well, but I just proceeded to make a friend and she seemed to want to as well. After a trip or two to her house, she taught me to make this beloved treat. 


This weekend provided the perfect time to introduce my youngest and her friend to Snickerdoodles. I directed (and took photos!) while they baked. That tells you how easy these are to make... two seven year olds and they did it all themselves!


One more thing... these are not as "light and fluffy" as a traditional Snickerdoodle, because of the whole wheat flour. But don't let that keep you from trying these. They are much heartier and taste just as fabulous. The sucanat adds a hint of a molasses flavor; a great combination with the cinnamon! 


Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles 


1  1/2 C. sucanat
1  C. butter, softened
2  eggs (1 + one egg white)
2  3/4 C. whole wheat pastry flour 
1  tsp. non-aluminum baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt


topping ingredients: 
2 T. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon


Note: We used real sugar for the topping, but next time, I will try the sucanat. It should work fine if you choose to use this alternative as well.


In a mixing bowl, combine butter (cut it up if you need to soften it faster)...




along with the sucanat...



and beat on high until fluffy.





Next, add egg and beat again.



Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) in a separate bowl, add to butter mixture, and beat well.









Shape dough into balls about the size of a walnut...



and then roll into the topping mixture of cinnamon and sugar.



Bake at 400 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cookies will puff up and then flatten as they bake. I'm holding up a perfect specimen!



Baking with kids is certainly a memory maker! If I can remember making these for the first time over 40 years ago, I'm sure my girls will, too. And every bite says LOVE!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails