.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Barn Hop #54

Welcome friends! So glad to have you stop by today! It's Monday and time to link up those blog posts with all the happenings and great tips from your own homestead so that we can all glean from each other wisdom and encouragement!

I need to apologize... again! I posted almost nothing last week on my blog. Very uncharacteristic of me on the whole. I hadn't even had my camera out for most of the month! But there have been some good things going on around here and I even dug out my camera for a few quick shots (sorry the lightening was bad on them! I was in a hurry)....

• I worked on organizing my new seeds and started some indoor seedlings for cool weather crops and utilized some of that great worm composting from my worm bin! They all seemed to be at one end, so I scooped some castings out from the other end and mixed it with my potting soil along with some other amendments.



• Planned more on the future goat barn, garden, and bees. I had to move some things around, but I decided to leave the garden where it is.
• Made liquid hand soap from the left over soap scraps from my bar soap (it was only semi-successful)


• Been nursing a sick chicken for several days; amazingly she's still alive, but not sure she'll make it. I thought she was egg bound (and I tried olive oil around her vent), but she laid a nice regular sized egg this morning, so I'm thinking it's bacterial. I've been giving her water with probiotics. She is drinking well and even ate a bite of food today, but after just a few seconds, she's so tired her head drops and she goes back to sleep. Poor baby!

I've researched this for hours and she has absolutely no symptoms other than the sleepiness! She looks healthy in every other way. The chicken that died from shock seemed to have the same symptoms and I'm wondering, could this be shock as well? Right before the symptoms showed up the bobcat came back while I was in the front yard doing some spring cleaning in the flower beds and I didn't have my gun. Too bad!! That cat is wrecking havoc on my flock! We've had snow ever since and I've kept them all locked in the coop with this chicken in the chick nursery alone so she can have some peace and quiet.


• Completed my training as a Global Media Outreach Volunteer - yeah!!! (It shouldn't be so time consuming now)
• Started making cultured dairy products from my new goat's milk. I'm trying some Middle Eastern Cheese this week from Wardeh's GNOWFGLINS class.
• and of course, did all the usual including an outing to the big city with my husband and some of the girls!

I did spend some time writing some blog articles that I haven't posted yet. I need to pray over them a bit more and tweak them some. A couple are for the Dear Daughter series. I'll give you a little clue... we've done some clothes shopping this week and I felt that writing out my thoughts in this series would be helpful. (When I write, it helps me get my thoughts in order and to think through why I believe what I believe. I hope you can benefit from some of it.)

In other news, this is Kelly's last week with the Barn Hop. Nothing bad, but the Monday timing wasn't working well for her and she has a new adventure planned for a link up that will fit her schedule better. We hate to see her go and wish her the very best!

Join The Barn Hop!
and Amy @ Homestead Revival...

...invite you to link up and share your homesteading adventures!

1. Write a blog post about what's going on at your homestead or a post on something you're learning or an item of interest that will benefit the homesteading community. Be sure to add the red barn button and link back here so others can join in the fun.
2. Come back here and enter your information in the Linky. Please be sure to link to your actual post (click your title and then copy the URL above) and not your home page so those participating later in the week can find your post easily.

3. If you don't have a blog, leave a comment and tell us what's going on at your homestead!

Please Note: As hostesses of the Homestead Barn Hop, please understand that we reserve the right to remove any links that are not family friendly. While this may be subjective, we will err on the side of caution in order to keep our blogs appropriate for all readers. Thank you for your understanding!








LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails