.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Homemade Furniture Polish

Since I went on my redecorating spree at home, I did quite a bit of polishing on my wood furniture. It reminded me that I want to try a natural wood polish. I'm posting a few recipes for anyone who is brave enough to try them. I'd love to hear your comments on what you like and don't like about each. I'll be experimenting, too, and I'll add an update just as soon as I have results.


(Disclaimer: Please test prior to overall application on a hidden area of your furniture to insure it does not damage your wood in any way!)


Hydrating Wood Polish
1 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup lemon juice


Pour ingredients into a spray bottle for easy application. Just spray and wipe with a soft cloth. Apparently you can add essential oil to make this fragrant if you wish. This recipe would be best if your wood needs heavy moisturizing, something that might be necessary in the dry west, but apply sparingly. If the olive oil goes rancid and it gets warm, you might notice a smell. 




Oil and Vinegar Polish
1 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup white vinegar


Follow same instructions as above.


Lemon Wood Polish
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. olive oil


Again, utilize a spray bottle and add essential oil if desired (lemon would be nice). This recipe would be appropriate for wood that has accumulated excess wax and needs to be revived, but it would also be the best recipe for weekly maintenance.




Unvarnished Wood Polish
Use equal parts of lemon juice and olive oil
Apply with soft cloth in small amounts, rubbing in wide strokes to spread polish evenly.


Additional tips:
• Jojoba oil can be substituted for each recipe. It remains stable the longest and works well, but is harder to find.
• Flannel is ideal for polishing furniture. Save those old flannel sheets or work shirts of your husband's and cut them up for polishing rags. 
• Apparently, most beeswax recipes include turpentine or linseed oil, something I would not recommend. 


Do you use a natural homemade furniture polish? If so, feel free to share your recipe in the comments section!


                                                                                                    Photo Credits: LightsurgeryMadMaxxMerelymel13

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails