I decided a little creativity could make this Christmas a year to remember long into the future. Since I had been wanting to do a simple Advent activity for a couple of years, now seemed the right time to make it happen.
I found the envelopes in the gift wrapping section of Michael's Craft Stores. Exactly 25 in the package! Did someone plan that?
Using store coupons, I saved 50% on a simple Christmas tree stamp and a set of numbers (which can be used for many projects as well as for future Advent activities should these need replacing!).
It's not too late to start your own Advent activity. Make it with whatever you have around the house and start with simple items that can be done on the spur of the moment. You can slip papers in the remaining envelopes or bags as you think of them. The kids will never know!
Update: don't forget to keep a calendar list someplace with every day's advent activity written on it so you know what's coming up and you can be ready!
Here's a list of suggestions to get you started...
• Christmas pajamas
• Christmas CD
• Lip Balm
• Christmas book to read
• Christmas earrings or other inexpensive jewelry (for girls)
• Drive around and look at Christmas lights
• Watch a Christmas movie (you could repeat this with different movies)
• Ring the bell for the Salvation Army
• Pack a box in advance for next year's Operation Christmas Child
• Bake cookies
• Bake North Pole cup cakes
• Starbucks gift card for $5
• Christmas book on CD or mp3 download (such as Little Women)
• Scrabble Holiday Game (or another fun game)
• Go ice skating
• Go sledding
• Bake something for the neighbors or elderly and deliver it
• Decorate the car
• Decorate the tree
• Decorate their bedroom
• Decorate the chicken coop or barn
• Put up lights on the house together
• Make S'mores gifts for their friends
• Read the Christmas story from Luke 2 in front of the fire with cookies and milk
• Sew a Christmas pillow case together
• Make a paper chain or popcorn chain for the tree and listen to Christmas music (and sing loud!)
• Turn off all the lights except the Christmas tree and sleep on the floor by it one night
Okay, that ought to get you started, but I want to hear your ideas! What will you add to the list?