Monday, May 9, 2011

Barn Hop #12

Ninety-seven homesteads... that's how many of you linked up last week to the Homestead Barn Hop! And what fun! It's so amazing to see what all of you do each week. Do you think we'll break 100 this week?


Our community here is not only growing in numbers, but we're getting to know each other as well. And in just 12 weeks, we've laughed and cried; celebrated and grieved; hoped and prayed; learned and shared. 


Please continue to keep one of our homesteading sisters in your prayers... Sherry Lee and her 13 children as they try to move forward with their lives after the loss of her husband (and father) and their home. I've gone back to her blog several times and looked over those last photos of her homestead where she linked up with us and I've grieved for them... no more husband, father; no more garden or bees; the window boxes are gone; and the sorghum harvest they worked so hard on is no more. It would have to be overwhelming and swallow them up if it wasn't for the Lord who sustains them. It certainly brings a new perspective to what our pioneer ancestors faced as they tried to settle new lands amidst the harsh elements. (If you would like to help the Lee or Crawford family, click here - thank you for the many who already have!)


Here at my own homestead, the coyote who lived on the back of the property is no more. We had to do something when she attacked a dog and tried to lure it to attack again. She already killed two chickens recently and she seemed very aggressive, so it had to be done. Sad to see such a pretty creature destroyed, but safety was the priority.




If that wasn't enough for one weekend, this guy...




attacked the other end of this...




and somehow killed it without getting bit himself...





My husband grilled it for dinner, but I confess I only tasted a very small amount. Two of the girls loved it and ate all they could while one would not even touch the serving dish to pass it. If I were hungry, I could certainly eat it, but since I'm not, I decided I'd wait until the need arose. It was something like eating scallops - a bit chewy and fish like in texture. (I would have linked this portion to the Preparedness Challenge as a dare, but that wouldn't be very nice, now would it?)


On a happier note, we have a family of owls living in a tree. The mother seems to come back every year to have her babies in the hollowed out portion, making a nice nest. Last year she had two, but this year there are three! They won't be here much longer as they're getting big and have actually hopped out onto the crook of the tree. If we go out early in the morning, they're always awake to catch the action before going to bed for the day. 


My beekeeping friend, Lori, shared some of her first honey ever with me this week! And it was unbelievably good! Such a treasure to share with a friend... isn't it beautiful? I'm saving it for special treats. It's really exciting to think that I might get some of this from my bees this year!




What's happening at your homestead? Join me and the other Homestead Barn Hop hostesses... 

and Me!

and link up to help cultivate the Homestead Community.

1. Write a blog post about what's going on at your homestead or a post on something you're learning or an item of interest that will benefit the homesteading community. Be sure to add the red barn button and link back here so others can join in the fun.

2. Come back here and enter your information in the Linky. Please be sure to link to your actual post (click your title and then copy the URL above) and not your home page so those participating later in the week can find your post easily.

3. If you don't have a blog, leave a comment and tell us what's going on at your homestead!

Please Note: As hostesses of the Homestead Barn Hop, please understand that we reserve the right to remove any links that are not family friendly. While this may be subjective, we will err on the side of caution in order to keep our blogs appropriate for all readers. Thank you for your understanding!





30 comments:

  1. Your blog continues to be one of my favorites!!! The people I meet here feel like friends. We share so many of the same interests...thank you for doing the barn hops and allowing a place for us all to meet and learn and "be" with each other. I have a coyote story too (they can be nasty little buggers, huh?!). I absolutely love the owls...they are so adorable! I hear them here in Ohio but rarely get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy,
    I am with you; just one bite of that snake is enough dinner for me too. The photo of the owls is so amazing; God has provided us with such beautiful sites to behold with our eyes.
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your pics. I can't believe your dog could kill that rattlesnake and not get bit! Good Dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning! I can't find the link up on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those owls are cute. Not many get the opportunity to see owls up close like that, how fun for your family.

    We've killed 2 rattlesnakes this year already but we didn't eat them. My sons did once when they were camping in the woods and living off the land. They said it tasted good but was full of bones. Maybe they didn't do that part right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got the coyote, and way to go to your puppy! Awesome job! The snakes are now out in Wyoming, too, so I am now starting to double check every where I step or put my hands... Maybe we'll have to BBQ one up if we kill any this year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That honey looks so good! Your dog is cute! Those pictures of baby owls....WoW...love it. Have a blessed week! Thanks for hosting this barn hop stuff. This is my second week. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like lots going on at your place!! I'm glad you were able to get that coyote. As sad as it is, you just can't allow something to attack your homestead. And thank you for not challenging us to eat a snake. You are a brave, pioneering woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita, you couldn't find it because I forgot to add it! Big oversight on my part. I'm adding it now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs. Sherry Lee wrote a post...{have tissues on hand}

    http://barnhousenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/dear-friends-words-simply-cannot.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, we have coyotes and rattlers, too. I hate even thinking about them. The family of owls, however... so beautiful! And the honey jar. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That owl family is adorable! How fortunate to be able to witness them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a suburbanite who grows vegetables. I recycle and compost. I like your blog because it shows a peek into a life that is so different from mine and I try to glean what I can.
    I've always known the country life is not for me as I do not like rats and other furry critters. But the pictures of cute chickens and goats are hard to resist. Today's post about the snake though, just about sealed it for me *gulp*. I will glean as much as I can, but I do not have your bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thanks for your post today and for hosting this awesome blog hop! Reading what's going on at other folk's farms is fun and helps me keep things in perspective. The weather in my part of the country has been so unpredictable lately and I am thankful beyond words that my little slice of heaven is safe and sound. My prayers go out to the family you mentioned and all the others struggling to recover and to keep going. Because that's what farmers do!

    I posted a great recipe I found in a cheese making kit for an Italian bread made with whey. I love it because it's easy, yummy AND gives me something to do with all that whey I get when making certain cheese. I hope some of your readers will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh you have so much news to share!! that's so good you got the coyote...sad for it but good for you. And the owls...oh my GOSH!!! They are so adorable! I think owls are just the cutest things! You are so very lucky to have them living next to you guys. That honey looks so good...my husband wants to get bees but I keep showing resistance...I don't want myself or my child to get stung!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stephanie, thank you for letting me know about the post update. I had been checking regularly to hear news of how they were doing, but had not seen this post. It was a blessing to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. we have been dealing with the dreaded coyote as well,ours are much larger then the one in your picture.I posted about them for the hop.
    Love the owls!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a post. Never a dull moment on the homestead! I remember eating rattlesnake as a kid once and liking it. Not sure I'd be as willing try it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree about the coyote, they are beautiful animals but not when they are taking your livestock. Just no way around it. That is one big scary snake! Whoa. The owls are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the owls, not keen on the coyote. I've got red foxes around here that have been getting more and more fearless, and I'm a little concerned. We don't have poultry yet, but I have been thinking of getting some.

    I worked up part of the garden this weekend and did some outside clean up. I've linked to a post about cleaning my garden tools. Looks like it'll be tough getting in the garden this week, as there is rain expected every day.

    I finally tasted last year's dandelion wine, and it turned out really good. I'll be posting about that in the next couple of days.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've eaten rattlesnake before...it tastes like chicken! (I couldn't resist...)

    Poor coyote...it sure was beautiful...

    And I LOVE THE OWLS. What a treat to be so close! They'e beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you have had an exciting week...rattlesnake for dinner! My boys would love it! I always enjoy visiting your blog. Today I decided to link up for the barn hop...:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mrs. Walker: Thought of you today when we were at some Israeli friends' home for a BBQ. They are beekeepers--for a living! They have 3,000 families of bees/about 10,000 boxes placed all over Israel, and they process the honey at their home near Tel Aviv. Uri gave me a tour of the processing factory. It was so fun to see this side of their business, and it's great to buy their honey off the shelves at the grocery store. You would've loved it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. undendingmercies - I WOULD love it! How fun for you to get to see their bees and all! Thanks for thinking of me! We miss you two!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Its always nice to have a man around that knows how to use a gun! Good Job! About eating rattle snake, I'd be like your daughter that wouldn't even touch the plate it was on. I'm sure I would if I was starving.....but like you, I'm not! Ewwwww You need a donkey, that will protect your area. I don't think it will be too long before we have troubles with the wolves that have been introduced into the wild up in Montana. I understand they are now in Utah. If there are two things in this world that scare me the most it would be wolves and snakes... In that order.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just stumbled upon your blog today, and I am loving it! I am working towards being more of a "homesteader" myself - we have had small gardens, and finally got a few chickens a couple of years ago. We enjoyed them so much that we have several dozen of different varieties (watch for me on Animal Hoarders, lol). I've never been the "earth mama" type, but the older I get, the more sense it makes :-) Thanks for the fabulouse links and information! I hope to get my blog going someday and link up myself to the barn hop :-)
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the owls.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just stumbled upon your blog, and I love it! As I've cruised (raced? lol) into my middle years, I've found the urge to be more self sufficient and sustainable myself. We got a few chickens a couple of years ago, and a small garden ... I've been bitten by the bug of wanting to do more at our little property - your blog is an immense resource and inspiration, thank you so much!!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  29. Patty, Welcome to Homestead Revival! Glad to have you joining us. And thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Being a recent convert from city life to country life your blog has been a tremendous help. I'm passing on to you the Versatile Blogger Award.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Homestead Revival™! Please feel free to contribute to the conversation by leaving your comments. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails