Monday, May 16, 2011

Barn Hop #13

Happy Monday Morning to everyone! Ready to Dosado?  It's your opportunity to tell us what's been going on at your homestead this past week. Join the Homestead Barn Hop Hostesses and link up your blog with a post about anything homesteading related.




After my last week with coyotes, rattlesnakes, owls, and such, this week almost seemed boring! But I needed the "quiet" time to get ready for the rummage sale, which went quite well. My storeroom above the garage is cleared of most items and ready to be cleaned and organized with what is remaining. I made enough money to pay for the block to build retaining walls in my garden and had some extra to pick up TEN of these wonderful windows at the rummage sale for an excellent price. I'll use them for either a much needed garden shed or for cold frames. (Does this count for the Prepping Challenge as well?) There just aren't a lot of old homes where I live, so to find this many in decent condition is amazing.



This week, I added another super to my bees. They have not completely filled out the comb in the lower box, but I didn't want to wait too long. Also, I want to make sure they build the comb correctly on the new frames. So for now, I added a queen excluder below the top super and later when know they're building it out correctly, I'll remove the excluder. 


If they don't build the comb correctly, I'll have to move frames around a lot or remove some comb and I don't want to worry about the queen being in the way. I did see her and she was busy as a bee (sorry for the pun!). Brood was coming along nicely and everyone seemed happy. I finally found the right time of day to go into the hive and not have so many bees in there and my oldest daughter joined me (proud mom!). She's going to be an excellent beekeeper!

On a sad note, I have a meat chick with leg issues. Only two weeks old and it can't stand up. I prayed the Lord would just heal it or take it quickly, but I'm afraid we're going to have to deal with it ourselves. If it were an older bird, it would be easier, but the thought of putting down a chick is heartbreaking. I purposefully have not been handling these chicks a lot so that we don't get attached, but a chick is a chick. So vulnerable. Any suggestions would be appreciated (I already tried a splint and it didn't work). 

I also got some sewing done and a few things planted, but I'm saving both of these for a couple of posts this week. I have a great idea to share on planting that I learned from another blogger which I want to share with you. 

Join The Barn Hop!

1. Write a blog post about what's going on at your homestead or a post on something you're learning or an item of interest that will benefit the homesteading community. Be sure to add the red barn button and link back here so others can join in the fun.

2. Come back here and enter your information in the Linky. Please be sure to link to your actual post (click your title and then copy the URL above) and not your home page so those participating later in the week can find your post easily.

3. If you don't have a blog, leave a comment and tell us what's going on at your homestead!

Please Note: As hostesses of the Homestead Barn Hop, please understand that we reserve the right to remove any links that are not family friendly. While this may be subjective, we will err on the side of caution in order to keep our blogs appropriate for all readers. Thank you for your understanding!

Link up your blog, put on your apron, and have a great week at your homestead!













16 comments:

  1. Wow, a second super that's great. Sounds like your hive is doing well. I spent this past weekend in a two day workshop, a full day studying pest management. Very interesting!

    Enjoy your week!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me with all you accomplish. To add a rummage sale to your already task filed life - wow. Glad it was a success.
    I wanted to play along but multitasked and am just sharing a quick view from my drive.

    Love learning about the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happens with those meat breed chickens. Their legs can't handle the fast weight gain. We have had these problems too...you always have a few of those when raising meat chickens. Really nothing you can do - we have had some that we just left and they got around "fine" on just one leg...not sure anyone wants to hear that...just a part of herdsmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been so busy! I wish you'd rub off on me! Um...I have a feeling that if there comes a time that I am responsible for our meat....that is the day we become vegetarian. I just don't think I can kill something...I try to think myself brave, and think of the reasons behind it...and know that God gave us these animals for food...but I just really don't think I could do it. Which makes it all the more important for me to better my gardening skills...learn to make cheese and such...and read up on foraging.

    Sorry about your baby chick...that is so sad...

    I'm so proud of you and your bees...so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to say, but I think my husband would put the little chickie out of its misery. At only two weeks old, it will likely not make it. We had one like that last year, but it was older.

    On a lighter note, thanks for hosting; I'm sharing our family's favorite bread recipe today. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog, and hope to get my blog going eventually so I can link in (just a few posts in 3-4 years, and not even good posts, lol). I started keeping chickens a couple of years ago, mostly for eggs. I found one of my month old chicks unable to stand, so I separated him and made sure he was fed and watered. After a week, it was obvious he was not going to get better (my research indicated it might have been Marek's disease). I decided that I would euthanize him , I am a big baby about getting attached to my birds. Friday night I held him while he chirped happily and decided to wait until Saturday morning to do the deed. When I went out Saturday morning, he had been taken (probably by a raccoon we have in our woods). I learned my lesson for next time, that me doing it would have been much more merciful than the varmint.

    Enough sad stuff - I love reading about the bees, I would like to try that someday too!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy! Love my Monday barn hop and hate that I missed it last week! I always look forward to this so REALLY hope that you don't mind my linked post is from last week! Lots of health problems this last week....ugh, like I really have time for THAT! But anyhow, I sure hope you'll have me still! ;) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had to put down one of our 3 week old Ranger Broilers on Saturday for the same reason. We're hoping that it's our only one. We've still only lost 2/50 so far, much better than we have fared in years past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Amy, if it wasn't a meat bird, I would suggest trying to rehome it at a farm sanctuary. Would any local farmers be willing to assist you? Best of luck. Loving the bees! Great job! Thanks for the hop.

    Warm regards--Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. FYI, the FR chick I separated out that was being picked on has a limp/leg issue too...maybe the other chicks knew this & were trying to get rid of it? Its doing fine on its own, but still limping so not sure what will happen with it...I'm hopeful since it can walk that it might have a chance still, but of course as it gains weight the leg may get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judging from the comments it appears that the leg thing is a pretty common problem. I just look at it this way, at least you are aware of where your food comes from and mindful of its life. Farming isn't for the faint of heart that's for sure.

    I just posted about some problems I had earlier this year with my nubians. I hope you or some of your readers have some suggestions about rotational grazing and goat nutrition.

    Thanks for hosting this hop again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy- I remember reading that the leg problems in FR chicks are due to vitamin deficiency. Here's a link for a FAQ page from the breeder I purchased ours from, and they include in their list of Q&A's. I just started 110 in a brooder last Friday. Funny how often I am drawn to check on them...it is hard not to become at least connected to them as a caretaker, if not also attached!
    http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/faq

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Amy, I have a question...... The men in my family went to their bee keeping class this past weekend and they are so excited. We are going to pick up our hives this week and our bees right after that. They met some great local contacts for everything bee related. Anyway, my question is where on your property is your hive? How close to your house and do you have any issues with them bothering you? We were thinking of putting ours in one area but then have worried about them bothering the neighbor when he bush hogs the adjoining pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, thanks for the link on the vitamins. I actually gave them some broiler booster in their water for the first two weeks. The rest are doing well, so perhaps this one is just a fluke. Too bad for the little guy though.

    Mrs. Trixi, our bees are actually IN our fenced garden area, and depending on the time of day there are lots or few bees flying around. We are required to have it at least 70 feet from a property line so it won't bother the neighbors. If he's running a bush hog, then I would just let him know so he doesn't do it when they are at their most active part of the day. I haven't planted anything right next to them yet, but I walk right up to the hive and have not had any suit on or issues. I only suit up (and get stung!) when I'm actually opening the hive (so far!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE old windows as well. I have a little to put two of mine up on my covered porch...it's hard to explain what I'm gonna do so I guess I'll just have to link it up one week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear about yoru chick. I'm glad your bees are coming along well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Homestead Revival™! Please feel free to contribute to the conversation by leaving your comments. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails