.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Preparing Now for Advent

Hmmm... that title is a bit redundant. While the latin word for Advent means "arrival" or "coming", traditionally, it is used to signify the time period where believers prepare their heart... "the season leading up to Christmas" (J. Piper). So preparing for advent is like saying preparing to prepare!

Well... yes. That is exactly what I mean.

Advent begins four Sundays prior to Christmas Day. And I don't want to miss a second of it! I L.O.V.E. advent. Yet, if I don't prepare to practice advent IN ADVANCE, I'm sure to miss something good. At least that's how my mind works.

So each year I TRY to be prepared to prepare. I plan how I want to practice the presence of God in the days leading up to Christmas. While it always includes Sunday evening services (in addition to Sunday mornings), I usually include a daily time of reflection and meditation of some sort. Sometimes it is a book I want to read about Christ's coming, but usually it is a devotional written especially for Advent.

This year it was a no brainer...



In fact, I about shouted with joy when I saw Ann Voskamp had published her newest book, The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas. I wasted zero time getting to the bookstore to pick up a copy of my own.



And if the introduction is any indication of what awaits beginning December 1st, I will not be disappointed. {...warm smile...}

Just thought you might want to prepare to prepare and get your own copy... in advance of Advent. {... big smile!...}




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails