Friday, January 14, 2011

Italian Sausage and Bean Zuppa

When I posted my Bean Recipe Exchange, I failed to include a recipe of my own. And that just wouldn't do! So here's another great recipe for using those dried beans! I actually developed this one myself by taking some cues from the Olive Garden's wonderful soups; I just used my favorite ingredients from their dish and made it my own. 



Italian Sausage and Bean Zuppa

1 lb. cannellini or northern beans, soaked and cooked (or about 2 - 3 cups)
1 lb. Italian sausage (turkey sausage works fine, too, just make sure it's spicy)
olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Italian seasonings (or a mix of your own)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. pepper, freshly ground
4 cups chicken broth
6 - 8 cups water
1 bunch kale, chopped (spinach will do)
3/4 cup half and half
fresh romano or parmesan cheese

Soak and cook beans. Brown the sausage in olive oil in a large stock pot. Add onion toward the end and cook until transparent. Add garlic during the last minute and cook.

Next, add seasons, chicken broth, water, and kale. Simmer until kale is tender. 

Add beans and heat until warm. Add half and half; heat, but do not allow to boil.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese. Oh, and serve with some wonderful, warm French or Italian bread slathered with butter and sprinkled with herbs. And enjoy!

So, tell me what you think if you make it! And be watching for a Salad Dressing Recipe Exchange next week - so get your recipes and photos ready!

11 comments:

  1. This sounds delish! Thanks for the post.

    I am just LOVING your blog, you keep things really fresh.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I'll have to pencil that one in. We just had an italian sausage soup with rice in it that we really liked too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being Italian the three staples are cannellini, sausage and spinach. And this looks delicious, but looks and sounds even better when someone else makes it! And your blog is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the most delightful visit here tonight. We LOVE zuppa, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amy this sounds so good. I love beans in every way and italian sausage is one of my favorite things too-so together-Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks absolutely delicious. Perfect for a cold winter's night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious Amy. Of course you always take amazing photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this soup, and it's great! I made a couple if substitutions based on what I had on hand. Thanks for the great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Homestead Revival™! Please feel free to contribute to the conversation by leaving your comments. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails