Monday, April 4, 2011

Barn Hop #7

Monday! And it's Barn Hop Day! Let me reassure you that one does not need to have a barn to participate. In fact, this is an opportune time for me to insert that we need a barn at our own homestead (for dairy animals) and any prayer on that subject would be greatly appreciated! But back to the Barn Hop... we want everyone who enjoys homesteading and has a heart for it to help cultivate the homestead community by linking up with what's happening at your place.


and Me!

To participate, write a post on a homesteading related topic and link it below! Tell us what you're learning, what you're doing, or something that we can all benefit from as homesteaders. And then spend a little time this week checking out other great homesteads - and there are lots of friends with some great things going on! 

This week, I caught a couple of cute photos of the dogs. Remember this cute mug last summer?



Yeah. Millie is our newest Golden and quite a gal. As a little puppy she love mud. Then it was chewing. Oh, my. The chewing! But seems she's tapering off and becoming a bit more mellow. (I said a bit!) Here she is now at nearly a year...


And here is Belle. Our 10 year old Golden. Such a sweetie! She's so protective and good to all the animals here.


We had our first couple of days of warm weather this week. Seems like we went from snow to summer almost over night. How in the world did all that grass grow so fast? I cut a couple of homeschool days short so the girls could play outside. You can see they were quite productive building a temporary fort by the creek - which has running water for the first time in years!





I think you can only appreciate this little bitty bit of water if you live where it's dry almost all year long. Normally we get 10" of rain a year. We're at 20" already! Yahoo!! However, this will most likely mean a big fire season with lots of wildfires. It doesn't look like the grass is tall here in these pictures, but just a little sun and it will go wild. Then, when the rain finally stops, all this grass that's growing tall will dry out and be a fire hazard. Obviously, we'll keep it cut around the buildings - a requirement by the fire departments. But out in the wild, it just keeps growing.



We finally made our soap this week and what a great time! Four members of our local homesteading community group got together Saturday and made some goat milk soap and enjoyed a great time sharing about all things homesteading! 



Did you catch that... my new apron? Love it! (I really didn't plan on my rubber gloves matching but then again, any true Southern Belle wouldn't be caught with rubber gloves that clash with her apron!)




This was only my second time to make soap and having a local homesteading community to help was not only fun, but extremely helpful! We had a wonderful time fellowshipping and sharing information on everything from chickens to goats to gardens and on and on... it really was a great afternoon!


Enough about me! Let's here from you!!




21 comments:

  1. Looks like your soap-making party was quite the success. :) Love your little puppy -- so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a Golden's loving family too. We lost our first Golden last year, the day after Thanksgiving. He was 14 and my son's best friend. We were devastated. We got a new one in Feb. Her name is Daisy and we already love her too much. We, too, are going through the chewing.
    I am so envious of your homesteading community. We live in an area full of cattle and chicken house farmers. They look at our little striving to be self sufficient homestead and wonder what we are thinking.Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soap making looks alot more fun then mine! Our garage is slowly becoming our barn. The way things are set up here, we are not allowed to build any building that will hold manure, but we can use any existing building as a barn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    Speaking of barns...the man we purchased our Jersey milk cows from had made a *barn* out of an old school bus with no wheels. It was sitting on the ground with all the doors open. I just laughed and laughed to myself because we didn't have a barn at that time and I wondered at the wisdom of purchasing cows when we had no barn in which to put them! He demonstrated the milking process for us while we were there. He called one our cows out of the herd by her name/number which was #36 and in she walked through the door:) He tied her to the steering wheel, proceeded to milk her, and then told her to leave. She made her way to the back of the bus and out the back door and he then called in the next cow to be milked. It was hilarious!!

    Blessings,

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, soapmaking!! I still haven't done it yet, but I did get my soap making kit in the mail last week, and plan on doing it for the very first time hopefully this week. Wish I could have been with you to watch how it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so important to match your gloves to your apron. Great pics.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Goldens. They are such sweet dogs. I've got a five year old I raised from a puppy and she is so sweet. Soap looks real nice. I like your molds, where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there.

    I make soap at home & I have the same soap molds that you used to make your soap. Just wanted to share a tip as it can take a long time for the soap to harden in those molds and the soap can stick to the sides. Stick your soap in the freezer for a couple of hours before taking it out of the molds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicola, Perfect timing! I left the soap in the molds a few extra hours and just starting taking the forms apart. They all came off easily except one side on each. I left them to sit for a minute and check my blog and there was your comment! I'm off to pop them in the freezer! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your homesteading community sounds wonderful. Although I have farm friends, sometimes I feel like the only 'townie' in my area who sees things this way. My boss and the Psychologist where I work keep talking about having an 'intervention,' and I'm not entirely sure they're kidding. Whatever anyone else thinks, I'm enjoying my life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! Love the pix! Things are so busy, I can't post...but I hope to come back in a couple days and catch up an everyone elses week!! I do love the Barn Hop and all her partisipants. :-)

    In Him, pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amy...I was wondering about what ingredients you used for the soap-making. My wife wanted to try it, but I couldn't find her the lye she wanted. I went to lowes and they laughed at me : ). Where do you get the raw materials from?

    Nice Fort : ) !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weekend Farmer, I used a company on line called Bramble berry. But you can use any sodium hydroxide and it should work. One of the gals from our group ordered some from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, have made soap before and find that I enjoy making up small batches so I can vary the oils and other ingredients such as lavender, oats, chamomile, etc. This spring I'm planning to take a soap making class to learn the fine art of making bees wax soap which is something I've not done before.

    Thanks for sharing and for hosting!

    Blessings,

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. The girls fort is cute. I can imagine how much fun my kids would have playing like that. Mine do have a blast making forts but they don't have a little stream. They do have swampy area however and they do have fun there.

    The soap making looks fun. I hope to try that sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, where'd you get the plastic soap molds? All I've seen have been wood. I think that plastic would stand be more resistant than wood, and stick less too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was wondering the same thing about the soap molds and would love to know where you got them. Thanks! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hermit, I forgot to post that information. You can get them here: http://www.makesoapez.com/index.html
    This mold worked great! I need to do a post on these - no liners or anything and my soap looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dogs are adorable :)
    LOVE your soap!!! My goodness - how wonderful. It's on my to-do-list still!
    Love Lusi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the info! Kind of pricey for a beginner but I'm sure it more than pays for itself if you use it enough.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Homestead Revival™! Please feel free to contribute to the conversation by leaving your comments. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails