Wednesday, February 15, 2012

DVD Review: Alternatives To Dentists

Alternatives To Dentists is a new eye opening DVD being offered from Marjory Wildcraft of Grow Your Own Groceries (a.k.a. Backyard Food Productions). When I first heard about this DVD, I didn't think it was for me. I mean, it just wasn't a top 10 priority at this point in my life or in my homesteading. But teeth are one of those things we take for granted until the moment of crisis when we get a toothache. Seriously, doesn't the world come to a halt at that point?

No, I'm not suggesting that you ditch your family dentist! And neither does herbalist Doug Simons, who is the featured lecturer on Alternatives To Dentists. He does show you what to do in case you can't get to a dentist, which in and of itself is really helpful, but what I really liked about this DVD were the things I learned to help build up the health of my teeth so I wouldn't need extra emergency care or invasive dental work.

I have about the worst teeth of anyone I know. I don't know how it happened, but the only thing good I can say is that I still have them (well, not all of them, but enough!). I think part of my demise was growing up during a time when preventative measures were few and when they decided to fill a tooth, the removed way too much of the healthy tooth and filled it with a large mercury amalgam filling. It didn't help that I knocked out my front teeth 3 times - my top two front teeth twice! Once my baby teeth and then my permanent tooth on the right front side. Add to that over 14 years of braces on and off and then on again and off (a total of 5 times) and you can imagine my teeth are a bit discolored now. And a lot of enamel is worn off. I've been brushing with toothpaste for sensitive teeth for years! Add to that a couple of root canals, an implant, and a spin through splints for TMJ and I'm the poster child for bad teeth!

So along comes Doug Simons' DVD and he talks about tips for actually building up enamel on your teeth using herbs! It sounds almost too good to be true! I'm sure it will take time, but I have little to loose at this point. As soon as I can find the items I need, I'm going to give his "recipe" a whirl.

Other topics Simons covers includes:

• dental hygiene without brushes, paste, or floss
• how to make your own tooth powder
• healing cavities with herbs
• treating abscesses with herbs and poultices
• treating cracked and chipped teeth
• reversing receding gums and gum disease
• information on root canals
• floride, is it good or bad for you?

I'm not a practitioner and again, I'm not recommending you stop seeing your dentist. But if this DVD can help you in advance or when you can't get to a dentist, then I'm all ears. And if nationalized health care really does materialize, then we may be needing more information like this to treat ourselves in the future! At the very least, Doug explains a lot about teeth so that you can make a better decision even when you do go to the dentist. It's just good stewardship to do the best you can with your body in terms of being responsible, proactive, and preventative. And I could do better at this! But, I just didn't realize it was really possible until I watched his lecture.

One caveat I must include regarding this Alternatives To Dentists. Simons does not teach his material from a Biblical worldview and includes some information about talking to the plants as you are harvesting material from them. He has traveled and learned a lot about herbs and healing practices from Native American Indian tribes and some of their world view comes through in one particular teaching scene. That aside, I believe he has some good knowledge that many can benefit from. You just need to be aware in advance that this appears in the DVD.  

What do you think? Share a bit about something you'd like to learn in order to improve the health of your teeth or something natural you are already doing for your pearly whites!




I received a copy of Alternatives To Dentists to review, but I have not been paid for this endorsement. My views are strictly my own.

27 comments:

  1. I'd really be interested in learning how to build up enamel and how to treat cavities with herbs. This is definitely a DVD I'd be interested in watching. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, thanks for this. I've been wanting to take care of my teeth in better ways lately too. I should look into this DVD. Have you heard of the book "Cure Tooth Decay" about remineralizing your teeth through high-vitamin animal foods (spec. vitamins A & D)? Also, "Whole Body Dentistry" that explains how other health problems are sometimes related to low-grade infections from fillings and root canals? Lately I have been trying "oil pulling" which is supposed to strengthen teeth and remove bacteria from the mouth, particularly from meddled-with mouths like mine, that have seen braces twice, teeth removed for spacing reasons, and a root canal. (You can look up oil pulling and find a whole host of articles.) Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you with these other resources I have found recently, in case they could help in addition to the herbal methods. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Oh, and Gonstead chiropractic care *completely* helped my extreme TMJ. It was the only thing that helped, since uneven hips and shoulders were the cause of the problem in the jaw. :) Sometimes the problem is a completely different place than we think, I have found. I'm liking your posts about herbs, though. Herbs and essential oils are something I'm determined to learn more about this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, Amy! This has been on my list to purchase since it came out but, like you, it wasn't at the top of my list. I do have Marjory's Backyard Food Production DVD which is fabulous, so I thought this might be as well. I'm glad to know it is worth the money. Will be ordering ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to check this out. I thought I was the only person in the world with terrible teeth...then I read your post. Sounds like we are in the same boat :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have terrible teeth as well and have often wondered what would happen if I could not see my dentist (especially in a long-term scenario). I love the idea of using herbs, as we can grow them ourselves. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting ! I am lucky my teeth are in good condition so far! I think it has a lot to do with genetics as well . Lots of acidic fruits and drinks are a culprit to loosing the enamal of the teeth and a lot of procesed foods as well . My mum when on our farm did a lot of cooking and baking from scratch and used our garden foods and our live stock for food they were free ranged or as they call it now organic there was very little store bought foods in our house I think thats also why my teeth have had a good start and have been good ! Hope you find that this DVD works for you! Its amazing what herbs can do for us though ! Have a great day !

      Delete
  7. We do not have dental insurance and have to pay cash every time we visit the dentist. That adds up quickly, considering there are 6 in our family. Thank you for sharing this wonderful resource with us.

    ~The Manna Mama
    http://themannamama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had some success at our house with moving teeth that aren't where they should be. Here is one story (http://www.thyhandhathprovided.com/2010/11/tooth-tale-number-two.html). The other one to note is that I've been putting pressure on one of my teeth (just by pressing on it with my finger) and it's very slowly moving into place the place it should be. I'm sure dentists and orthodontists might question our methods (and maybe you should, too:-)), but it seems to be working, saving us a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's good to know! A tongue thrust often will move teeth forward as well so one might as well harness that theory and use it. Of course it depends on one's standard of what is wanted out of our teeth. One orthodontist wanted to break my jaw surgically to make my teeth all line up correctly. By this point I was exasperated with the whole deal and I told him just get my teeth where I can chew without pain and look half way decent and I'll be happy. He did and i have no regrets not getting my jaw broken. The English think we have an obsession with teeth and they may be right! LOL!! Seriously, I think it's fine to use orthodontics and even better to use less invasive means to straighten teeth if possible. I think I'll work on my bottom tooth a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy your experience with dentists removing way too much of the tooth and replacing it with a large mercury filling is exactly what happened to me and I grew up in the UK so it must have been established worldwide practice. They also used to give children a general anaesthetic for extractions and during such a procedure I came round which was a horrific experience which led to my fear of the dentists chair. I did not have a good diet as a child and my mum relied far too heavily on processed and convenience foods which no doubt caused decay but years later a dentist told me that some of the dental work I had received was not necessary and of a very poor standard. I would be very interested to see this DVD. Although my family's diet is vastly different from my childhood one we are still having issues with teeth for some family members and I am not sure why. We have wondered whether it is genetic or was it the juicing phase we went through or maybe a nutritional deficiency. We are on tank water and that is always what the dentists point to together with the assumption that we must consume a lot of sugary drinks which we do not. I am wondering if this DVD might answer some of my questions so I'd be interested to know if he addresses causes as well as cures and natural preventative measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to juice and drink smoothies. And my dentist does, too! He recommends using a straw to drink them because it will keep some of the natural sugars and acid from being directly on the teeth although it won't eliminate it entirely. We buy them in bulk at Smart-N-Final.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to answer your question! I can't remember really well, but I believe he does talk about causes briefly - just not positive about that. I plan to go back and watch this to write down information that I didn't get the first time around.

      Delete
    3. My dentist also recommended the use of straws! I would like to buy the biodegradable straws but they are quite expensive here. Wish we had more bulk stores. The book that Renee recommends sounds like it might give us some answers as we suspect that some of the dental issues we have had are related to mineral absorption. Both that book and the DVD have gone to the top of my wishlist now.

      Delete
    4. I don't remember where I learned of this (maybe your blog, Amy?) but there is a family that makes reusable glass straws. Try searching for that...

      Delete
    5. Really? Hadn't heard of those straws before. How do they clean them inside after something like a smoothy with real fruit in it. My smoothies leave little bits all over the glass, so I assume it would do this in the straw as well. As long as I could clean it really good, it sounds promising.

      Delete
  11. Oh! You sound a lot like me. I have a terrible fear of the dentist because of those childhood filling! I have terrible anxiety and have to be given "gas" to make me lay still and relax. Even if everyone can get to a dentist now that doesn't mean they will be able to in the not so distant future. I would like to get this just to have in my preparedness medicine chest. Thanks for sharing and I will be getting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like an interesting DVD. I'd be interested in learning about how to treat cavities with herbs. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this DVD recommendation, I will definitely be checking this out. I too have horrid teeth, years of braces caused a lot of damage to my teeth, which then needed multiple fillings etc, which then ended up causing more tooth damage. On top of all that I have very bad dental anxiety leading me to put off work until I am in lots of pain. Yikes, I was not blessed with strong teeth. This DVD will be very interesting to watch. Always enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have just discovered this series myself and am quite excited about it too. great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have very bad teeth. Lots of fillings and missing teeth. I am considering having the remaining teeth pulled and getting dentures. But don't know if that is the answer. Any opinions on this.
    Enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't see this in the comments yet, but in the first pages of Cure Tooth Decay, the author points out that while sugar may cause cavities, it's not for the common reason we're taught. Sugar inhibits bacteria growth and that's why it's put in processed foods-so the assumption that sugar causes bacteria to grow on our teeth is faulty. Instead, the sugar leaches minerals from our body and when we're deficient, minerals are drawn from the teeth to compensate-leaving them vulnerable to decay.

    Thanks for sharing this review and I'm off to read more about the DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The glass traw site is http://www.strawesome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy...I have teeth just like you do. I could have probably purchased a house by now with all of the money we have spent on my mouth! This is a great resource. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is something I'd love to learn more about. Where can I get more info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jene26, you'll find more information if you click the links in the post above. I recommend purchasing this DVD if you're interested in pursing Doug's treatments. It would be a great investment for a local homesteading community group.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Homestead Revival™! Please feel free to contribute to the conversation by leaving your comments. "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails