.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The New Laundry Line!

I don't know who's more excited about our new laundry line: me or my husband! He did such a lovely job crafting exactly what I wanted. Quite the perfectionist when it comes to woodworking, he wanted them to be just right. And they are!



Due to our HOA rules, clotheslines that are visible are not allowed. But who wants to dry indoors when you only get 3 months of nice weather? Excuse me, but I want to be outside as much as possible, including when I'm doing laundry! It took me months to determine where I could put a line that would satisfy the HOA rules and satisfy me as well. The yard was certainly large enough, but a road that cuts back up the mountain, a house sitting on the mountain above, and the fact that part of our yard is visible from the road prevented a traditional option in the grassy area. That only left the patio.

Fortunately, there is a large patio space behind the garage, waaaay back where almost no one can see. The house sitting on the mountain above can still see it - just a bit. But since they haven't lived there in 8 years, I'm not sweating it. 

I thought about an umbrella line sunk in the cement, but my husband hesitated to make a permanent hole in it. Plus, it would have to be set back enough from the garage to get around it - a bit too visible. We drug our feet and didn't get it done. 


Finally, it occurred to me that a line across the back wall would be perfect. But would it work? I begin to invision large classy brackets, decorative and strong. A real statement. I surfed the net and found inspiration and my husband got to work. 

Mounting them was no easy task and we realized they'd need an extra brace to make them more stable once the line was pulled tight. Thus the white metal braces. But now that they're in place, they seem rock solid. Some standard eye screws hold a Lehman's 1700# galvanized cable wrapped in vinyl. Finally, to get a really tight line, we used Lehman's clothesline ratchets.




I used it for the first time today and it was glorious! Can you believe anyone would say that about a clothesline? Of course the weather was perfect so that added to the ambiance. Perhaps you should ask me how I feel about it in mid-winter. Oh, but I have my drying rack for really brutal days! I've already been using it and I'm mighty pleased!


So, if you think you can't have a laundry line because of "rules", perhaps you need to think outside the box. The internet is great for generating ideas, but sometimes you need to look at what you have and get creative.


Show Off Your Laundry Line!


Let's help some of our readers who are looking for great laundry line ideas. Post your photo on your blog and then come leave a photo of your laundry line here on the Linky. (Please be sure the photo you use on the Linky is actually your laundry line!). Underneath, type your blog title or name so we know who you are. You have until the end of the month to add your photo and don't forget to come back and visit often to see all the great ideas!






LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails