.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Using Textures and Patterns in Decorating

I love textiles. Even took a class on the subject when I was in college. Years ago, before child #2 and #3, I use to quilt just so I could enjoy the many different fabrics. The only problem was once I had pieced the top together, I didn't really enjoy the actual quilting part. I just wanted to play with all the colors and put them together. And then there's the yarn store... oh, my! My visual and tactile senses are on overload! I just love it! Do you feel the same way?

Why, then, do we go about decorating our houses in a singular fashion? We tend to pick one type of fabric, one main color, one print, and one texture. Monotonous. And it makes our homes look as if we ordered them right out of a catalog. Actually, I do use the catalog a lot. Perhaps it's no wonder I found my decorating in this same rut.

So when we moved into our farmhouse style cottage, I decided this had to change. And thus began my mission for texture. Beginning with the master bedroom.

Since this room needed to be an atmosphere for calming and relaxing the senses, I opted for a fairly neutral color palette. This would accentuate the textures even more as they lay next to each other. 

White cottons and linens with a matelasse coverlet...


Golden hemp dust ruffles and shams layered over more cotton with a woven sisal rug...

Soft and cozy Chenille throw...

Reclaimed ceiling tin mirror with weathered white paint...


Warm woven wood shades that block out the cold and sunlight if I want...

A splash of floral linen drapes with shades of golden brown...

Polished cotton plaid pillows in creamy leather chairs...
With all this I added some old books, a couple of floral arrangements, and crystal that belonged to my mother and grandmother. Only two pieces of furniture match; all the rest are odd pieces that I claimed here and there. And some antique watercolor pictures add a further element of elegance and permanence; as if time in this room has existed long before it's modern conception.

(Sigh).....I just love texture.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails