.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Farmhouse Master Bath

Moving on through the farmhouse tour we come to the master bath. I really like this room, but of all the spaces in my house, it's the most "cluttered" in my opinion and once in a while, I get the urge to purge the excess decor... starting with the silk plants which can be dust collectors if not maintained. Honestly, I should just put real plants in there, but I'm too busy to keep them alive. I'd much rather spend my time out in the vegetable garden.

I have inherited several pieces of furniture from my grandmother and mother, so I wanted to work these pieces in wherever I could. The white hutch in the first photo was from grandmother's kitchen. I always loved this hutch and I've had it for nearly 25 years. It's been a baby changing table for all my girls and now it fit perfectly into a "lost space" in the bathroom.

Hanging artwork in the bathroom can be an issue if the room gets too steamy, so I like to use plates a lot. At $3 each, these T. J. Maxx finds worked great in repetition. Homemade goat's milk soap makes a pretty display while serving a practical purpose. And a little tray on a stand, fills in another space and helps create the garden feel I wanted for the room.






 The bathtub is the centerpiece of the room. I don't like a lot of noise and bubbles, so I opted for a soaker tub without jets. (When I'm sore from working in the garden or on cold winter nights when I can't get warm, it's w.o.n.d.e.r.f.u.l!) Surprisingly, it was very reasonable in terms of cost and yet, gives the room a look of luxury. The overly sized garden candleholders were a great find at about $20 each. The large stretched canvas was also an economical find that filled in a large wall space. I chose this particular photo because so much of what was in the room was mirrored in the print - green plants, columns to match the candleholders, water, etc. A matching shell dish holds my soaps from Anderson Family Farms and Levi's Lye Soaps




I guess I should mention the green walls which match the master bedroom walls. I wanted a soothing color, but didn't want white in this particular space. The spa feeling is perfect for a master suite.



During construction, we realized the toilet area would not accomodate even a pocket door, so we had to improvise and use louvered cafe style doors. I love the feeling it adds to the room and it just goes to show that mistakes can often be the charm that makes one's house special. A little bead board in this area ties it in to the tub across the room. 



Can you tell where we get a moment to read? Sometimes a mom has got to do what she can to get in some time to herself!



After we moved into the house, we needed some doors for an area upstairs which we were finishing off. It occurred to me that I could use the doors from the bathroom on the upstairs and buy a single french door for the closet and main door to the bathroom. So we switched them out and I hug sheers on them. This works fine since our bathroom is off to one side in the master bedroom and you can't see it from the hallway.





It's kind of fun to see my home through the lens of a camera. Somehow it looks a bit different when it's not "live". I've really enjoyed this space, but don't be surprised if a year from now, I post pictures with it decluttered. It's not high on the priority list so it won't be anytime soon.

I hope to do another post this week or next with organizing in the bathroom. But for now, I'm off to pick up three darling little goats who are waiting on me!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails