.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Preparedness Challenge #30

Welcome back to our monthly challenge... preparing the homestead for the unexpected. Each month, readers are invited to link up a blog post about what they accomplished during the month to prepare in three areas:

emergencies for times of power outages, natural disasters, and such
food storage for life's unexpected events whether related to long term effects from a disaster or a job loss and everything in between
sustainable living in order to be more independent, both physically and financially, and to live as close to the land as possible given each individual's situation

Here's the update this month at my own homestead...

• I didn't really complete anything in the first category ("emergencies"), but since I did so much of that this the previous couple of months, I'm not going to sweat it.
• I added several food storage emergency meals to our three day meal kits
• I added 3 kinder goats
• I spread the garden with chicken manure from the coop and compost pile

Soon I'll start letting the chickens begin working in the garden for the winter and I also plan to continue researching items that I have on my homestead in order to feed my animals directly from my own resources. It may require planting some items, but if it's sustainable (and better yet, native to the area), then I want to consider it.

Join the Challenge

To join the Preparedness Challenge, just write a post on something you did this week to prepare and then link up below or leave a comment. Even one thing a week adds up and it will encourage you to do even more! And by participating in the challenge, it will get you thinking about prepping on a regular basis. The three areas we are focusing on include: 
• food storage 
• emergency preparedness 
• sustainable living

Please be respectful of our challenge and only add a post on one of these three preparedness topics ONLY in order to retain the integrity of the link up event. I have enabled the "like" button on the linky and I'm asking readers to give a thumbs up to all blogs that are on topic! And be sure to take the Preparedness Challenge picture and add it to your blog so others know you're participating and hopefully they'll join up, too! THANK YOU!!








LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails