.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Life of Thanksgiving

Every day should be a day of giving thanks. A lifetime of 24 hours counting the gifts. But today is a day for feasting and celebrating specifically how God brought a small group of saints to an untamed land in order to worship freely as they believed He was leading them.

I find it quite amazing that in this day of political correctness and lack of tolerance, we've almost abandoned this concept altogether. How appropriate for us to stop and reflect on the Pilgrims love of God and passion to live fully sold out to Him!

A couple of years ago I read Of Plymouth Plantation for the very first time (William Bradford's personal account of Plymouth's Settlement by a group of separatists). My own education was lacking considerably since this was not required reading in any public school that I'm aware of (either then or now), but what a pity! I couldn't believe the history that unfolded as I read each chapter. So much that was never passed on to me until that very moment! Our history is rich indeed, but we must take the time to look at it, in context and from original (primary) sources.

Grateful for how God has graced our lives with family!


I pray that today, you will be able to feast with your family around you, recounting the goodness of the Lord this very year as well as in the years past. Your family history. And ours as a nation.

And after the table is cleared, the dishes are washed, and the house quiets down, if you have a few minutes, take some time to reflect on giving thanks all year long. Start a Thanksgiving journal and list your own One Thousand Gifts.

I have... and I've only just begun!





LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails