.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Preparedness Challenge #28

Welcome to our weekly challenge to be prepared! For the next few weeks, most of my prepping will probably be focused on requirements from my CERT class (Community Emergency Response Team) or a spin off of it at the very least, which is probably a good thing. I tend to focus on the "sustainable living" portion of being prepared and it's easy to get behind in the areas of "emergency preparedness" and even "food storage". Between the CERT class and the Preparedness Challenge, the accountability is EXACTLY what I need to get prepared. It's way too easy to say "Someday I need to make sure we're ready for  ________".

This week I purchased two additional first aid kits. I already have one for in the house, but it's not as portable as I'd like since it's in a tackle box. I also had some first aid supplies in my GOODY bucket that I had made, but it wasn't very extensive. Being a "first responder" in my community, I needed one that would fit in my CERT backpack and it needed to be light weight and soft-sided so as not to take up too much room.

I opted for this nifty first aid kit because it also had sleeves inside it to hold items in an organized manner that were like pages so you can quickly flip through and find what you need. I figure I'll have to add some items or switch some things out (like a better pair of scissors), but it seemed like the best option in a situation where I might have to work quickly.

*Update 10/5/11: I received my first aid kits and they were not as represented from the company I in which I linked. After researching this, it seems the company is no longer making this particular kit, but I called First Aid Only and they are recommending an alternative with pages that turn. You can view that item HERE
First Aid Kit
I actually ended up purchasing two, because I didn't have anything for the car (at least not anything worth mentioning other than a few bandaids). And since we live where we drive through remote areas often and the weather is unpredictable, I picked up some thermal blankets to keep in the car.

Thermal Blanket


The last thing I purchased were some nitro gloves, but not sure everyone would need those. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some on hand though. You never know when they might come in handy, even if it is just around the house or in the car. It's not always a family member that needs first aid!


Join the Challenge

To join the Preparedness Challenge, just write a post on something you did this week to prepare and then link up below or leave a comment. Even one thing a week adds up and it will encourage you to do even more! And by participating in the challenge, it will get you thinking about prepping on a regular basis. The three areas we are focusing on include: 
• food storage 
• emergency preparedness 
• sustainable living

Please be respectful of our challenge and only add a post on one of these three preparedness topics ONLY in order to retain the integrity of the link up event. I have enabled the "like" button on the linky and I'm asking readers to give a thumbs up to all blogs that are on topic! And be sure to take the Preparedness Challenge picture and add it to your blog so others know you're participating and hopefully they'll join up, too! THANK YOU!!






LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails