.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dehydrating Blueberries

It's blueberry time and my husband goes wild! He loves these little gems. Last year, he came home with about 50 pounds! You can read about how I froze and canned them here. So this year, I decided to try dehydrating a few in my Excalibur Dehydrator. I love blueberries in my granola, but since I can't get them fresh and organic all year long, the next best thing is dehydrated.


Dehydrated Blueberries


1. Remove all stems and blossoms from the blueberries. Eat all the ones going mushy as fast as you can and before the rest of the family figures out what you're doing. Or you could be really nice and share! They do taste sweeter that way.


2. Blanche by placing blueberries in a boiling water bath until the skins begin to split. This should only take about 30 seconds. If your water isn't a good rolling boil, it will cook your blueberries before it causes the skins to pop. (I know... I did this). And don't leave them for a second or you'll miss the window of opportunity with these!


3. Immediately remove with a slotted spoon or strainer and plunge into an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.


4. When blueberries have cooled, remove them to dry off excess water on an old towel. They don't have to be completely dry, just not dripping wet.


5. Place blueberries on dehydrator trays and dehydrate until they are pliable like a raisin. I set my dehydrator on 135 degrees.


6. Store in an airtight canning jar. This is where I love to use my food saver with the jar attachment in order to remove all the air. And by all means, if you have a Tattler Reusable Canning Lid, be sure to use it! (See Tattler Lids here and enter the give-away!)


7. Enjoy often.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails